Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Roll the Appam

Surullapam

Growing up, this used to be my favorite evening snack for tea. Mom used to make it all the time and I devoured each and every single one of them. Well today I opened my freezer and saw this big packet of grated coconut sitting for quite sometime and wanted to do something with it. It was tea-time and of course I made my mom’s surullappam. As I was eating them, my husband watched me intently as I was trying to take a bite with the whole thing intact..the delicate darlings that they are ...and he mentioned the reason why they were called surullappam is …apparently you just roll them up yet again (bottom to top) and eat them… which is a much faster way I guess!! True or not..or maybe he was just kidding..it definitely was a faster way to eat it...cas I had three down in no time at all !!!


Ingredients :

All –Purpose Flour – 1 Cup
Egg – 1
Salt – a pinch
Grated Coconut – 1 ½ Cup
Sugar – 4-5 tsp
Cardamom – 3-4


Whisk the egg in a bowl. Slowly add the all purpose flour. Add a pinch of salt and gradually add water. The batter should be very thin and should have a pouring consistency.


Crush the cardamom pods in a mortar and a pestle. In a bowl, combine the cardamom, grated coconut and sugar, mix well and keep aside.


Heat a flat pan or tava, rub some oil on the tava with a kitchen towel. Pour a ladle full of the batter in the form of a circle starting from the ends of the pan and swirl the pan so the batter comes to the center to form a complete circle. If you do see some holes, just pour a little bit batter to cover them up. This cook in seconds and there’s no need to flip. Add a spoonful of the coconut mixture in the middle and fold one side and roll it all the way to the other end. When serving, garnish with confectioners sugar.

No comments: