Monday, April 21, 2008

Out of the freezer ....

Vegetable Pulav
Now that I had a few cans and space in my pantry emptied ( although I still have some more to go) it was time for the freezer. It was lunch time and rummaging through my freezer I found some frozen veggies...I am not a great fan of cooking with frozen vegetables...but I always have them on hand in case of food-911 ...!! Hence emerged vegetable pulav...well not really vegetarian since I added chicken stock from the pantry.
Found in the freezer :
  1. French Style frozen beans
  2. Frozen Green Peas


Ingredients :


Basmati Rice - 1 Cup
Ghee - 2-3 Tsp
Onion - 1
Ginger Garlic paste - 2 Tsp
Cinnamon - 1/2 Piece
Cloves 3-4
Bay Leaf - 1
Water - 1 Cup
Chicken Stock - 1 Cup
French Style frozen ( or fresh) Beans - 1/2 cup
Frozen ( or fresh) Green Peas - 1/2 cup
Shredded Carrots - 1/2 cup

Soak the basmati rice in water for about 30 minutes. In a tava, add the ghee . when the ghee is hot add the cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves. Add the sliced onions and saute until it turns transparent. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute well for about 3-4 minutes. Add the beans, carrot and peas. Saute for about 5 minutes.

I usually find the rice cooker the best to make pulav, however you can use the pressure cooker or cook on slow fire. Discard the water that the rice was soaking in, and put the rice in the rice cooker. Add one cup of water and one cup of chicken stock ( Optional - you can use just water) and add the sauteed vegetables mixture into the rice and let the rice cooker do the work for you. In about 20 minutes you should have steaming hot vegetable pulav on your table.

3 comments:

Kalai said...

Looks wonderful and easy, Sandhya! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

Sunshinemom said...

My first time here. Trying to spot the vegetarian eats. This one looks good!