Sunday, April 20, 2008

Pantry Raid I

Ever since we finalised our decision to move back to sunny California...a million thoughts have been racing my mind...all the packing, cleaning, cooking, work, husband, kids.....I didn't know how I was going to do it all , although one thing was sure, I had to clean up my over stocked pantry. The movers were going to move our things based on pounds, and I knew for sure that if they were to move my stuff in the pantry...it would be one hell of a price to pay - LOL.

So I opened my pantry with the hopes of clearing it..but was soon overwhelmed with the idea of making something with each and every thing. So I guess most of it will be donated to friends and the homeless and the needful....but then there were some that could probably be our breakfast , lunch, dinner and dessert for the next couple of days which would literally save me from the trips to the grocery store . Anyways...I had to do what I had to do....so I started off with something that I really really love - Lychee's. One thing I always have in my pantry are canned Lychees - and lots of them. Lychees are one of my favorite fruits..I find canned lychees better and easier to eat than the fresh ones. At home, my son and I almost practically eat them after lunch, after dinner, as a snack, in a shake and sometimes when the sweet craving is beyond these things, I make a lychee pudding.




This recipe was borrowed from my friend, Nirupa who used to make it all the time for pot-lucks and dinners and ever since , has been my favorite dessert. It uses only four ingredients and makes a delicious dessert in no time at all except, of course, for the setting time .
So here goes :
Found in my pantry :
  1. Lychee cans
  2. Condensed milk
  3. Gelatin

Lychee Pudding :

Heavy Whipping cream - 1 Pint
Condensed Milk ( 6 oz can)- 1
Unflavored Gelatin - 2 Packets
Canned Lychee - 2 Cans

Combine the whipping cream and condensed milk in a bowl. I find the pudding a little too sweet when I add the entire condensed milk. I just add half of it. If you prefer it sweeter, you can add more.

Open the lychee cans and reserve one cup of the lychee syrup and throw away the rest. Chop the lychee into four quarters and add it into the cream mixture.

Heat the reserved lychee syrup for about 30 seconds in the micro-wave and add the 2 packets of gelatin in it. When the gelatin completely dissolves in the juice add it to the cream mixture and mix well until well combined. Pour the lychee mixture in a serving bowl or a glass dish and allow to set for about 6-8 hours before serving.

No comments: